Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Trip To The Library

Last week I went to the library with a friend.  I borrowed several watercolor books but as usual I was more drawn to the floral paintings and decided I would do a few studies of the ones I found appealing to me.
One of them was this wonderful book by Adelene Fletcher.

  
It is filled with beautiful paintings and great instructions.  
Here are my studies:
Freesia

Then comes the sunflower,


After several washes of watercolor paint, I used my watercolor pencils to tidy things up a bit with the details.


As we were on our way to the library, there were some beautiful lily flowers on our way.  My friend pointed out to me that they were her favorite flowers, and so I decided to paint this last one for her;
the stargazer lily,


I hope you enjoyed reading today's post.  Let me know what you think.
Thank you,
-farideh

*linking to show and tell friday http://romantichome.blogspot.ca/

4 comments:

  1. I'm visiting from "My Romantic Home", and just have to comment on how beautiful your paintings are! I've always loved watercolors of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia thank you for visiting! Your words are very encouraging. Yes, watercolors have a sort of soft and delicate beauty of their own.

      Delete
  2. These are beautiful! As someone who is not an artist, I have questions. You said these are "studies." Would the preparation be different if you were not painting these as studies? I thought that watercolor paper had to be wetted and taped to a board before beginning to paint. I notice that the paper you did these on appear to just be sitting freely on a board. These are so lovely and the sunflower is exquisite. I found your blog through My Romantic Home as well.
    Thanks,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you for your kind words and questions. Well, I call them "studies' as they are not my own originals, they are other artists' creations and I try to study and learn from them as well, from time to time. And no, the preparation would not be any different.
      Yes, my paper is not taped to the board. Since I am not painting on the entire paper (no backgrounds!), the paper does not need to be wet completely. I work on small sections at a time and depending on the techniques used, one may do wet on wet or wet on dry even on smaller sections. I hope I have answered your questions. Please do drop by anytime!
      thank you,
      -farideh

      Delete